Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Apartment "Lilly" on Rue Saint Dominique

Has any of you stayed at Apartment %26quot;Lilly%26quot; (offered by http://www.luxury-paris-apartments.com/) on Rue Saint Dominique %26quot;near%26quot; to the Eiffel Tower? If so, how was your experience?





Do you have any thoughts on the neighborhood as a place to stay for a few days in June?





Many thanks!




|||



happy - I checked out the website.the apartment looks very nice, but the location was quite vague. Rue St Dominique is a wonderful (but long) street, alot depends on the cross street - do you know what the cross street of the apartment is?




|||



Thanks for your response!





I%26#39;ve emailed the owner to find out just that question (the cross street on Rue Saint Dominique).





I%26#39;m really betwixt and between as to where we should stay. I%26#39;m not at all familiar with Paris, though I speak French at an advanced-intermediate level. It would be nice to be in a very active area (Latin Q?) so we don%26#39;t have to go far for a bite to eat or to window shop. And we need to be close to the submway. We are a ridiculously wide range of ages (14, 16, 54, 63, 95); because of the 95-year-old, I don%26#39;t want to be in situation where we have no choice but to do a lot of walking to get to a cafe.





I thought an apartment would be cheaper than 2 hotel rooms (one for the father-in-law, another for the rest of us). Cost is a huge factor - given the exchange rate, we have no business doing this trip at all!. We don%26#39;t need (or want) anything fancy at all, just enough comfortable beds to go around in a safe location, pleasant enough that the father-in-law wouldn%26#39;t mind spending his days in the immediate neighborhood while we sightsee.




|||



hi happy! we are there right now, and based on what you said, and it being my first time here (but boy have i gotten around and have a great sense of direction), i%26#39;m thinking the 6th might be a good option for you. it%26#39;s lively and active enough for the %26quot;youngsters%26quot;, yet the more seasoned dad in law will have plenty to do nearby (bookstores,nic nac places, etc..)





and i agree with the above poster. again, we are here in paris now, and we are in an apt that is just steps (literally) froom the eiffel tower, and r. dominque is a LONG street!





i%26#39;m sure someone else better traveled in this area will chime in. hope this helps!





ang :)




|||



Thanks for your input! I really need (and appreciate) all the guidance I can get!




|||



Hi Happy,



Wow! 95 and going to Paris! That%26#39;s amazing. Good for dad!





One thing that I would really be considering is the fact that at an apartment you may not have %26#39;help%26#39;. I have stayed in an apartment in Paris, and it was great, but that was after several trips. The first few trips found us asking the concierge or front desk people loads of questions.





Additionally, if dad is there by himself and runs into a problem, there%26#39;s no one to get him out of a jam.





This is only a concern since you said that you were not familiar with Paris at all, and since your father-in-law is at an advanced age. I would personally be more comfortable to have a front desk clerk or concierge who%26#39;s there 24/7.





Check www.venere.com for hotels. You can see them listed by price, number of stars, location, and also see photos and reviews. A 3-star property may work for you.





Unless you%26#39;re willing to spend some money, an apartment that sleeps six people may be a bit pricey.





Good luck! I hope this works for you. Enjoy your trip!





Vicki




|||



Hi Happy,



I just looked at the Lilly apartment. It looks great. One question I would ask (if it matters to you). Is there an elevator? I noticed that the apartment is on the third floor. Don%26#39;t just assume that there%26#39;s an elevator. If your father-in-law will find it difficult to do three flights of stairs a few times a day, this is something you%26#39;ll probably want to know before booking. Just a thought.





Vicki




|||



Vicky: Thanks for your response. The owner says there is an elevator, but I know that doesn%26#39;t mean it will be working when we arrive. I was hoping to ferret out someone who has actually stayed there so I could find out if there are horror stories afloat. Being in a hotel has a lot of upsides -- but it also means we wouldn%26#39;t have a living room/dining room/kitchen to share, and that can be very handy for everyone. Plus if my FIL should get sick during the night, say, which I wouldn%26#39;t expect (but still), we%26#39;d be right there. Plus it gives all of us a little elbow-room, and I think would be a little cheaper. So I think there are countervailing up-sides to an apartment. We have rented apartments/houses on other jaunts before, and it has usually worked out very well.





But that gets me back to which apartment, and where!




|||



You are very welcome. The apartment looks great, and would definitely give you more room than a couple of small hotel rooms. Probably more comfy for your father-in-law if he doesn%26#39;t want to be out and about all day.





Let us know if what you end up booking and whether it works for you! We all love new suggestions of great places to stay.





Happy travels!





Vicki




|||



Thank you, Vicky; I definitely will do that!




|||



Hi Happy - I%26#39;ve just updated one of my threads where I%26#39;d asked for expertise in choosing an apartment, and also posted a new thread asking for info about an apartment in Rue St Dominique.





I also found the same website as you and am interested in their Lavender Apartment. Chris Bulley has replied to my two emails so far, and he told me that the Lavender Apartment is situated in Rue St Dominique close to the corner of Blvd de la Tour Maubourg. I wonder if the apartments are in the same building??





So please check my threads also - and if you have any further interaction with this agency please let me know and I will do the same. Sharing information is such a buzz!!





My trip is not until September next year so my enquiries are very preliminary - look forward to hearing what happens with your choices! Cheers, Tanya

No comments:

Post a Comment