Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Free entry to Paris Museums for Teachers

My family and I will be vising Paris in April. Both my wife and I are teachers. As I%26#39;ve been reading alot of conflicting information on this topic from forums on this site as well as others, I decided to try and get some more definitive information myself.





I emailed the Paris Convention and Visitors Bureau via their website Parisinfo.com. As I emailed them in English, I assumed thay would know that I was a foreign teacher. I asked them if it was true that museums in Paris were free to teachers and what would I need for documentation. The reply was as follows:





Hello,





Some museums do it. You have to show your professionnal card on the spot.





best regards.





I then re-emailed them asking if they had a list of museums which allowed free entry. The reply was:





Hello,





We are very sorry but we haven%26#39;t this list. You have to ask to each museum on the spot.





Best regards.





While it appears that some museums do allow free entry no one seems to know which ones they are.





If anyone has visited or is visiting Paris in the next few months, please let me know if you were able to get any clearer information on this topic or if you were able to get in to any museums with any educator documentation. Thanks!




|||



I too am a teacher and although I would like to take advantage of using my federation card I do not want to deal with the lines and think that I would prefer to get the museum pass and skip the lines to find out.....




|||



In any case, whether you get a discount or not, you are still better off purchasing the Museum Pass.




|||



As noted by the authority you%26#39;ve already contacted, there is NO list of Paris museums that provide free admission to teachers. I do know that in years past, most national museums like the Louvre, d%26#39;Orsay, Centre Pompidou, Picasso, Rodin had accepted my wife%26#39;s school ID and in a couple of instances, simply flashing her NEA membership card. But over the years, some institutions have become more selective....and free teacher admission is more of a catch-as-catch-can affair.





As an example, this from the Louvre%26#39;s Free Admission page,



%26quot;...Teachers of art, art history, and the applied arts (valid proof required)..%26quot;





And this from the Musée d%26#39;Orsay%26#39;s Teachers page--



http://tinyurl.com/2puvsv





This is complicared by the fact that individual ticket/admission personnel may interpret these requirements as they seem to feel fit...as in accepting French teacher IDs and rejecting US teacher IDs. So it never hurts to flash your US teacher ID...but it%26#39;s not the %26#39;..Open Sesame..%26#39; that it once was.




|||



Based on what you all said, I think purchasing the Museum Pass sounds like my best bet. At leat this way I won%26#39;t have to wait in lines.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, September 18, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment