Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Guided Tours

I have been pouring over these forums for a about a month now. Everyone is alway so helpful and I have found some very useful info for an upcoming trip next month.





I am having a difficult time figuring out if I need to make reservations to have a guided tour that certain locations offer or if they only offer audio guided tours.





Ideally, I want to walk up to my site of choice, buy a ticket, and pay the extra fee for a guided tour (or see what time the next one will be available). I want tours of the Arc De Triomphe, Notre Dame, Ste. Chappelle, Versailles, Conciergerie.





I want a little more in depth history on these sites. I like to have little things that go unnoticed pointed out to me.





Anyone in the know?




|||



I was not aware of any tour of the Arc, I mean, you go up you go down, and inbetween there are a few display cases. Get a guide book and just cut out the section that explains the Arc to you.



At the Louvre you can reserve a tour when you arrive, and if you look online( the Lourve does have a very handy website, why not look at it?) , or just rent an auido guide when you enter.



Versailles it is the same either rent an audio guide or take a tour which you can pay for when you arrive, do arrive EARLY as lines can be long, other option is to take a tour from Paris directly with a guide who accompanies you , more expensive but maybe more convenient if tour is important to you.



No tour of Concierge that I could see, but again, go online .





I think since you wreally want a actual guide accompanying you that you might be best to look into going on private tours of these places, I have heard posters on this board mention a few different companies and guides. ( I think Context was one highly recommended) . these are not cheap options though, so you could just do what many do, get a good guide book( yes, I know not quite the same)





PS When I was 13 my grandmother hired a private guide for the WHOLE day for me at the Lourve, it was very expensive but it made a world of difference, you are absolutely correct , having %26quot; little things pointed out%26quot; makes things much more interesting !



This was over 30 yers ago and I still remember that first visit to the Lourve.




|||



Thank you for your reply. I have been pouring over the guidebooks and individual websites. While some sites do say they offer guides, they indicate to call a number. I was just wondering if I could just get a guide when I bought my ticket...basically without reservation. Or if they had a set time where they offer tours.





No need for a personal guide for the whole day. Too much money. Especially when most of the sites I%26#39;ve gone too indicate guided tours for 5 Euro. Can%26#39;t beat that price. Looks like I%26#39;ll be calling the numbers they indicate. I hate having set times. I love to play things by ear.





Luckily I have a connection (cousin is was an art buyer for Sothebys) for the Louvre and several other museums. So, we%26#39;ve already arranged for private tours of those through the museums themselves for free.




|||



Evereve, you lucky bum!! LOL ( Having the free tours arranged!!)




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, September 17, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment