Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Going to Nantes for a few days rest

Hi I am flying out to Nantes this month and staying at the hotel renova for a few days.Having never been to this part of France before I was wondering if it is easy to get about on foot (cant be bothjered to hire a car) and if there is plenty to see in the main town.



Anything you caould tell me about Nantes would be gratefully recieved. I have read the usual toristy jargon but if anyone can give some first hand knowledge that would be great. Thanks




|||



Have you left already?




|||



Yes all done and dusted, didnt get to Nantes after all of that, blew my car up in Dunkerque instead. Nantes another time, thanks anyway




|||



I am going in January with my 11 year old son to watch FC Nantes (he%26#39;s started supporting them after our hols in France. At least it%26#39;s different.) We will have Thursday and most of Friday to sitesee as match isn%26#39;t until Friday night.





What should we see (given the time of year). Any recommendations. He does like museums, natural history, history and football of course. We won%26#39;t have a car but we staying central.




|||



Dear Ash47,





Your son is a supporter of FCNantes? That%26#39;s different indeed... ;)



Do you know you can assist to trainings? Which game are you seeing? I have actually quite a few friends who are big supporters and will ask if there is anything interesting...





I hope you%26#39;ll have a great time in Nantes.



We have a Museum of Natural history here (old but nice).



Did you visit the castle and its museum when you first came? It%26#39;s been renocated and is very interesting. The Cathedral not far is nice too.





Did you see the giant wooden elephant? www.lesmachines-nantes.fr/elephant.html I m afraid it%26#39;s closed in January though.





I would suggest you to contact the greeters too. It%26#39;s free. Local people will propose a visit of half a day according to your wishes and tastes. http://www.greeters-nantes.com





I hope it helps. Please, don%26#39;t hesitate to ask me if you have further questions.




|||



I just got back from Nantes and the new big thing is the giant elephant robot that you can actually ride. Something an 11 year old should really enjoy!




|||



Sorry to take so long to reply. Thanks for the comments. We are due to go next Thursday (11th) and we are going to the the Nantes v Chateauroux game on Friday and staying at the Hotel Pommeraye which is very good by all accounts.





The Elephant would have been brilliant but you say it%26#39;s closed which is a shame. I%26#39;ve got the Chateau and the cahtheral penciled in so far. May try the national history museum.





Where would you recommend for a good fruit de mer? I love these when I come to France.





The greeters idea sounds fantastic. I%26#39;ve not heard of that and may have a look.





If you have any other tips let me kow ( I promise to come back and see this time)




|||



Had a great trip and thanks for the help on hear. FC Nantes won 2-1 so my son was happy. We went to just about every museum that was open, the castle, the archeology, Jules Verne etc. Nat. History was closed as was Les Machines.





The Hotel Pommeraye was first class and we both enjoyed La Cigalle ( although my son had his Nantes shirt on and looked a little out of place but nobody seem to mind, in fact the staff were great and the theatrical way the waiter poured the chocolate sauce onto his profiterolls made us both smile).





The tram system was great and both to get to the football match and just to get around. We got a Nantes Pass and it got us in all the places free.





We had a great time and he wants to go again!! so it must have been good.




|||



Glad you had a great time. You will need to see the elephant next time !




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, September 17, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment